I’m publishing this post much earlier than normal to incorporate it as a last-minute gift guide for anybody struggling with present ideas. Because of the cuts to flight routes from Glasgow Airport last month, I’ve changed this post to include not only flights from Glasgow but from Edinburgh, too. Taxis to Edinburgh airport from the West Coast are pretty steep, but you can get buses from Buchanan Bus Station straight to the departures terminal for as little as £10.
- Dublin, Ireland: Throughout the whole month of January you can fly return to Dublin for as little as £20 (from Glasgow), making it the cheapest destination on the list. The flight is less than an hour and from the airport in Swords you can be having a pint in Dublin City centre in under an hour. There’s great shopping, brilliant art and architecture and pubs for days. Perfect for a quick getaway from home. Click here to find hotel options for the month of January via Booking.com
- Venice, Italy: Flights to Venice start at £20 return from Edinburgh next month. Although the weather might not be as great as the rest of the year, the crowds will be significantly reduced and hotel prices go down throughout the month of January. Look for hotels here or read my hotel recommendation here.
- Luqa, Malta: This small village in Malta is just under three miles from the capital city, Valletta. Founded in the mid-seventeenth century, it is steeped in history. The town is quaint, filled with winding streets and incredible architecture and overlooks it’s own harbour. Fly return from Glasgow for as little as £26 this January and will likely have the warmest weather of any destination on this list. Search Booking.com for accommodation by clicking here.
- Porto, Portugal: The food in Porto was incredible and there are tons of beautiful restaurants lining the riverside. Boat trips are reasonably priced, as are walking tours of the city. You can visit the many baroque churches and bridges as well as the city’s castle. There are plenty of parks, and tourist spots are close enough to each other that walking around is no problem at all. Fly from Edinburgh from £24 this January, or if you’re after something more beach-oriented you can fly to Faro for £26 from the capital, too.
- Brussels, Belgium: Brussels is, for me at least, a European city that you have to visit at least once. Not only is there incredible architecture, but there is some really good shopping areas as well as plenty of great bars and restaurants. Brussels also has train links to Paris, Amsterdam and other Belgian cities like Ghent and Antwerp that are all just a few hours away – you can read my post on cities nearby and how much it costs to travel to them by clicking here. Return flights cost just £24 from Edinburgh, and if you book early enough in the month you’ll be able to catch the Christmas markets. I also have a hotel recommendation for an apartment right beside the city’s main square on my blog which you can read here.
There are plenty more locations for under £30 and £40 from both Edinburgh and Glasgow, so if you’re interested in finding out where those are you can read my guide on How to use Skyscanner by clicking here. You can also subscribe to my site to receive posts like this every month at www.caitlinjeanrussell.com/subscribe.
This post contains affiliate links.