There are a ton of long haul flights available this summer between North Africa, Asia and North America. If you’re looking for more local flights, check my recent post on flights for under £35 from Glasgow this month. Like in my last post of this kind, I’ve posted the long haul post two months in advance to give you guys a little bit of time in case you’d like to book any of these flights. If you have any suggestions regarding how far in advance you’d like to see these posts then please do just leave me a comment at the bottom of the page! I’ve opted to include both direct flights and those with stopovers to include as broad a range of routes as possible. To make your trip as cheap as possible, I recommend using Booking.com to compare hotel prices and book the best option for you. If you’re keen on booking any of these flights, click here to use my post on Skyscanner to help you figure out how to go about booking flights on the website.
- Amman, Jordan: There are some unmissable things to see in Jordan, including one of the Ancient Wonders of the World, Petra. Amman is one of the country’s most historically wealthy cities, with Ancient Roman ruins and sweeping views of the city. At one of the cheapest destinations on the list, you can fly return from £397 during July.
- Vancouver, Canada: British Columbia is one of the most beautiful places on earth, and Vancouver is a great city to base yourself to see the beautiful landscapes surrounding it. Surrounded by water and mountains, it is one of the most beautiful and most densely populated cities in Canada. You can fly return for £497 throughout July with stopovers.
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates: You can fly direct return from Dubai this month for as little as £306 return with Emirates. As a tourist destination, Dubai’s popularity has grown exponentially over the last decade. The shopping is incomparable, it is home to the tallest building in the world and you have both the beach and the desert on your doorstep.
- San Francisco, CA: Not only can you fly to the East Coast of America on a budget, you can fly to the Pacific Coast for the same price. Although San Francisco may not have been on your bucket list, you should consider adding it. The city is rich in history and culture and has a heavy Victorian influence in terms of its architecture. Sights to see include Alcatraz prison, the Golden Gate Bridge and the city’s famous tram lines. You can fly return from as little as £452 in July.
- Hong Kong, Hong Kong: Hong Kong is one of my favourite places on the planet. If you’re looking to start heading East to travel then places like Hong Kong and Singapore are a great way to ease yourself into the culture change. The great thing about Hong Kong is that you can go on a student budget or go and splurge. There’s plenty to do for free, it’s easy to get around but there’s plenty of luxury shopping and hotels, too. You can fly return for £483 during July and if you’re looking to find out more on what to do and see there, read my blog post here.
- Toronto, ON: You can now fly direct to Toronto from Glasgow thanks to airlines like Air Canada and Air Transat. Toronto is an incredible city – for me it’s a lot like New York but a whole lot cleaner. The city has great shopping, great food and lots to do for sports and musical theatre lovers. It’s also a great base for travelling to nearby cities like Quebec City, Montreal and Ottawa. You can fly direct this June from as little as £447.
- Cairo, Egypt: You can fly to Cairo from £462 with stopovers from Glasgow this July. See the pyramids, the Sphinx and countless other sights from Ancient Egypt. If you’re looking to visit but aren’t so keen on spending quite so much on flights, have a look on Skyscanner for return flights from London and either train or fly down to the capital.
- New York, NY: New York is a must-see for everybody at some point in their life, but finding cheap flights (especially in the summer) can often be a challenge. You can fly with a stopover from as little as £332 this month, or direct with United Airlines for around £390. The trick to keeping costs down on a trip to New York is by using Booking.com as a tool to find cheap hotels. You can read my full review of the website and how to use it by clicking here, and read all about my last trip to New York on my blog here.
- Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates: You can fly direct from Glasgow to Abu Dhabi for a little out with this price bracket, but with a stopover you can fly for as litle as £348 return. Abu Dhabi isn’t too far from Dubai, so if you’re keen to see both I’d recommend flying to and basing yourself in one or the other and hiring a car to travel to the other. Highlights of Abu Dhabi include the Sheikh Zayed Mosque, as photographed below.
- Las Vegas, NV: You can fly direct to Vegas this July for £425 return. The 4 mile strip has countless 24 hour casinos, great shopping and food and in the last year or so the number of live shows has grown. The ability to fly so far direct for such a reasonable price is a great opportunity, so if you’ve been thinking about Vegas then now could be the time!
These are just a selection of some of the flights available for under £500, so be sure to check out Skyscanner on your own if you have a particular location in mind. Airlines are making it more and more affordable to fly long-haul, you just need to keep your eyes peeled for the best deals. If you’d like me to up the price bracket on these posts or have any other constructive comments about how far in advance I should publish them, please let me know.
All prices valid on 6/5/18 via Skyscanner’s search bar.
If you or anyone you know would like to receive these posts straight to your inbox every month, be sure to subscribe at www.caitlinjeanrussell.com/subscribe